Wednesday, January 19, 2011

While reading The Lore of Perfection, I felt that Kohak's voice and his position were heard more strongly in this section then any other section of his book thus far. In the previous readings, it seemed that he quoted how others viewed issues and seemed to sidestep the issue himself or adopt the other philosopher's/writer's/ ect. views as his own voice. For example, until it was discussed in class today, I was unaware that Kohak held any view other then Singer's. While I did not completely relate to Singer's perspective, I find Kohak much easier to understand and relate to. While I will never become a vegetarian, Kohak made some very helpful points in this section's discussion that gave me ideas of how I can help make my footprint on earth as minimal as possible (Kohak, 49).

While discussing vegetarianism, Kohak listed three responses that one can take in response to the immense suffering in the world. While the first and second seemed to drastic to me, I found the third to be quite practical. I feel that sometimes, on many issues spanning human and animal rights, one must kept "...striving for the best...while accepting the inevitability of failure" (Kohak, 42). By choosing to think or act differently, I can free my conscience, act in a manner that limits one tiny bit of suffering, and cause someone else to stop and question their own attitudes and beliefs. Just as he stated in the arguments against animal rights, I do have to eat something (even if it is meat), but I can "...select my food...with consideration of others" (Kohak, 44).

Lastly, I enjoyed Kohak's discussion of Rollin's beliefs. I believe that Rollin was right in saying the freedom that morally sets the human race apart should be used as a responsibility toward animals that do not have it. One must set limits for themselves regarding animals and nature, the two things that can not speak for themselves. I now understand that I must change my attitude if I wan tot bring about change - I must look at some of my actions, and humankind's, not as my right to do so, but as an affront to the environment that ultimately holds the upper hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment