Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Blog #2

The section on meat or mercry was very appealing in the opening paragragh.  Kohak states a very conrovesial question: Conquer nature or protect it? Meat or mercy?  For majorirty or people, the answer is indeed to conquer because animals supply the meat that we eat.  But there is also individiduals who wish to protect; to protect the rights of animals and refuse to eat meat.  Kohak speaks of harmonizing the demands between the two groups and creating a sense of rationality.

Within the reading, there was much about animal experimentation.  To be honest, I agree with Singer with his beliefs on the topic.  He believes that we should have the attitude of  "Without me! Count me out!."  Animals do not have an opinion, so therefore they should not be experimented with since they have no say.  Singer also says that 95% of all animal testing is unnecessary. That is also another good point.  Animals should not be the vicitms of experimentation because they have no benefit. Also, he goes on to say that we, humans, and animals are not the same, but are equal.  Animals have the ability to suffer, feel pain, and experience a sense of loss just as humans do.  The only difference is speech.  With that being said, animal experimentation should not be done unless the same experiment could be done on a human.

As Kohak said in the beginning of The Green Halo, humans see themselves as being superior to animals. 
The animals are inferior, so the consumption of them is less of an issue.  I have never really thought much about the food that I consume.  Although, there are certain instances were I am eating meat and I think about what I am actually eating and cannot continue with the meal.  I am not just eating food, but am eating an animal; an animal with rights.  This will probably not make me become a vegetarian, but the thought is there and I understand where those individuals are coming from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment