Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Blog #1- Introduction

Hello. My name is Chelsea Hoffmann. I am from northern Cincinnati, more specifically a little town called Greenhills. I am the oldest of 7. There are 3 girls and 4 boys. The ages range from myself, 19, all the way down to my littlest brother Gus who just turned 1. The day after my high school graduation my parents told us that my mom was pregnant. At first I was in shock, but now that Gus is here he is a blessing to my family.

My family is extremely close. In fact, my dad's entire side of the family lives on our street! My grandpa was mayor of Greenhills for 17 years and is still very active in the community. My dad, uncle and grandpa are all on the Greenhills Fire Department. It is one of the few fire departments in the country that is purely volunteer. My grandpa is assistant chief followed by my dad and uncle who are both captains. My grandma is also very involved in the community. She is the head lunch lady at Winton Woods Middle School and also writes up various reports for the fire department.

For high school, I went to Roger Bacon in St. Bernard. It is approximately 10 minutes from the Cincinnati Zoo. While in high school, I played volleyball and was very active in community outreach and student government. In volleyball, I earned 3rd Team All-State and Division II Player of the Year in 2008 and 1st Team All GGCL. My junior year, my team went all the way to the state semi-finals. It was a really great experience! I was going to play for Thomas More, but am too busy between work, school, and family. However, I continue to play volleyball recreationally by playing indoor and sand leagues. I also coach for a club volleyball team called the Cincy Peppers.

I chose Thomas More because I really valued the small classes and Catholic based atmosphere. I have changed my major 7 times, no exaggeration! I guess I am the type of person who has to go around the block to see what I don't like in order to decide what I do like. However, I am currently in Psychology, with minors in Biology and Spanish, which I plan on staying in. My goal is to become a genetic counselor. It is an up and coming field which involves looking at people's DNA and counseling them on the chances that they or their offspring will have certain diseases or disabilities. I have had a really great experience so far here at Thomas More and cannot wait to see what the future holds!

This is my first philosophy class. I was in business ethics last semester for about 3 days before I decided to change my major and so I had to drop that course due to rearranging my schedule. But I am really looking forward to taking this class. As you know, I am in Biology and animals and the environment play a pretty big role. As a result, I thought this would be a perfect class to take because of its relevance to not only my minor, but to life in general!

No comments:

Post a Comment