Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Meat Or Mercy

After reading sections from The Green Halo, it has opened up my eyes on how people may view animal cruelty, and whether or not humans are superior to animals or not. Kohak talks about the problem in life how we have mistreated animals. Kohak mentions how some individuals view humans as being superior and animals being a lower kin. I agree with this view that was mentioned. Kohak shows many different outlooks on humans and animals. Something that I never really thought much about was that animals have feelings as well as humans.

In the reading Meat or Mercy Kohak says that individuals often torture animals out of habit, indifference, or for financial advantages. However I do not feel as if these reasons which Kohak gives to why individuals torture define animal cruelty. Even though individuals hunt, sell, and eat meat, these actions do not make the individual cruel to animals. For a very long time individuals have hunted animals for means of survival, and many individuals have eaten meat for many years because it is there for nutritional needs.

I myself am not a vegetarian. However I do not believe in animal cruelty, which I would define differently than Kohak. I would define animal cruelty as killing an animal for a fur coat or piece of clothing, because that fur which is used as clothing doesn't serve an individual any essential to life. However the meat which we get from cows or chickens gives individuals protein. I would also define cruelty to animals as not feeding your pet, or beating your pet, or lastly having your pet fight other animals.

I am looking forward to hear Kohaks other views and opinions on ecological ethics. Kohak has views which definitely make you think, and maybe even question your ways of life involving the earth and its aspects. The Green Halo has been very interesting so far, and eye opening to the ecological issues surrounding us. I can not wait to listen to more discussions in class on environmental issues that are going on today, especially the issues which have been going on for several years.

No comments:

Post a Comment