Friday, January 28, 2011

Blog #5

Kohak brings up the idea that Biocentrism is the idea that life itself, life as such, any life, is a source of meaning and value. Some philosophers that Kohak mentions in the reading have different ideas of what Biocentrism consists of. I was intrigued by many of the philosophers that Kohak talked about, but the one that I side with is Albert Schweitzer. I think Schweitzer makes his point very clear, and his run in with the hippopotamuses really got to me and make me think outside the box.

Albert Schweitzer has the idea of reverence for life. He would agree with St. Francis about God and nature. Schweitzer was not concerned about saving nature; he was concerned about doing good, not evil. He has a quote that he states in Kohaks book and it says "It is good to protect and love life, it is wrong to destroy and wound life. I agree with Schweitzer that we should do good in this world and we should not destroy nature just for the heck of it. We should not be evil to things that are not evil to us. However, if it is a life necessity then it is okay to take from nature.

I thought all together the reading was interesting because it gave many different view poins on the same topic. Although I did not agree with some of the philosophers, it was still neat to see what they thought in their minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment