Monday, January 10, 2011

About Mike

My name is Mike Burns and I am a sophomore biology major here at Thomas More College. I intend to pursue a career in dentistry after I complete my undergraduate studies here. I hope to one day open my own private practice in general dentistry. I grew up in Northern Kentucky and my family still lives in the area. I have an older sister who is currently in UC's pharmacy school and a younger brother who attends Covington Catholic High School. My dad is a professor at Cincinnati State, UC, and NKU. He teaches civil engineering and construction management courses. My mom is a registered nurse who makes in-home visits to many patients around the area. We have no pets at the house, but I hope to have a German Shepherd someday.
I have always loved and spent much time in the outdoors. When I was a kid I didn't have video games to play, so I spent my time outdoors shooting basketball, tossing football, exploring the woods around my house, or some other outdoors activity. I have had a love for fishing ever since I was old enough to remember. I still find time to fish during the summer around my job. I enjoy camping and hiking at State Parks throughout Kentucky. I play guitar, enjoy playing and watching sports, and spending time with friends and family.
Ecological issues are becoming more and more prevalent in modern times. From the oil spills and questioning off-shore drilling to pollution of the air and deforestation, these issues are coming to the forefront of the news and debate. This course on environmental ethics will provide insight into these lines of debate, allowing me to better understand the importance of these situations. I think it is very easy to overlook the dire situation of the environment when living life in relative comfort. Hopefully this class brings into focus the larger picture of what is happening to the world around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment