Sunday, January 16, 2011

blog #2-meat or mercy

After reading certain sections from The Green Halo, I realize how strongly Kohak feels about the problem about all life on Earth and how we have mistreated animals. I do not really agree with his view about how humans are overpopulating the Earth, but I do agree that we do require a lot of the Earth and sometimes we take more than what we really need of it. Kohak definitely shows many different outlooks of humans. One that really stood out to me was when he asked why they had ambulances for children and not animals. This really surprised, I never would think of something like that, but reading this book gives me many different views that would normally not even cross my mind.

While reading Meat or Mercy, being the animal lover that I am, hearing about how animals are tortured does bother me even though I know it occurs every day. And even though I love animals I do not think I could ever become a vegetarian, I do not see animals as equal to humans, and I do not agree with the statement Kohak made about, "animals are little people in fur coats" (p.17.). I wish there was another option besides becoming a vegetarian to save animals' lives but I don't think there is. Killing animals has always been a part of life, and a way of survival for humans and I do not see that changing.

So far this book has been very interesting because of all of the different outlooks. I can honestly say that most of it is mind boggling and I would never think of it. I look forward to reading more about all of the different views humans have.

No comments:

Post a Comment