Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Ethics of Reverence for Life and The Land Ethic

In the section The Ethics Of Reverence For Life, I thought many of the views that Albert Schweitzer made were very interesting. Schweitzer reverence for life was presented as a system about a clearly seen lived experience, which is rooted in religion. He perceives the world as being sacred, and believes that the world should not be taken for granted. I agree with Schweitzer and the belief that the world shouldn't be taken for granted, however I believe many people do take the world for granted. One quote that I found interesting was when Schweitzer says “ Infinite compassion is not enough, we need active sharing, and active help”. He then goes on to give an example of what “good people” do.

One example Schweitzer gives is rescuing worms from dry asphalt and placing them in the grass. I find this example to be a little extreme of what he believes 'good people” do. I believe that “good people” however can be defined as people who think twice about how their meat was processed and where it came from. Also I believe that “good people” can be defined as not killing animals cruelly or needlessly. Lastly I believe individuals can be considered good if they help encourage other individuals to not support factory farming.


Lastly in the reading The Land Ethics it is said that the earth is a complex of life. Leopold says that death is a part of life and that individuals have a hard time accepting this fact. I agree completely with Leopold on the fact that many people are reluctant to admit it. I however know that death is apart of life and that after life you will "float on" into a better place. I found both views from Schweitzer and Leopold to be interesting and could relate to key concepts in both.


No comments:

Post a Comment