Monday, January 10, 2011

Blog 1- Introduction to me

Hi, my name is Anne Schoettelkotte and I am a Junior environmental science major. I have never really done a blog before but we will see how this goes.
I started out my freshman year at school as a Biology major, but quickly changed to environmental science when I realized that I would have to take classes like anatomy and physiology, genetics and cellular biology. I knew that I would not be able to learn anything in these classes because they sounded boring, and when something is boring, I have a hard time learning it. And so I switched my major and I can't say that I have been sorry since.
Being an environmental science major is defiantly the right fit for me because it involves being outside with nature. I grew up hearing my mother reply to my pleas to watch TV, by saying "go outside and play". I have so many good memories as a kid playing outside in our backyard. Whether it was squabbling with my brothers in the sandbox or riding my bike in the backyard, it was always fun. When I was in 6th grade, we moved from our house on the fringe of the suburbs, to a farm in a couple towns away. We went from a tiny backyard to a vast expansion of trees and fields. We saw many versions of wildlife and came to hate raccoons. We learned to fish, play in the creek, sweat in the sun, and hike in the snow. We learned to appreciate the beauty nature could give us and we learned that nature could be cruel and unforgiving. We also learned that humans could as well.
I am interested in environmental ethics not only because I am an environmental science major, but also because I like to be outside and I enjoy what the earth gives us and I enjoy giving back to the earth. I agree with the author when he comments on the fact humans are crippling the biosphere and are still only interested in themselves. Now, I know that not all of humanity is like this, but in general, I believe that a lot of people are, sometimes myself included. I just feel that if people "unplugged" themselves and actually looked up, they would notice things they have never noticed before. For example, how many of you have noticed that we have a huge chipmunk population in the spring that live in the flower beds around campus? How many of you go down by the pond at night in the summer and stare at the stars? How many know that we have a small hiking trail on campus? Even on our small campus we have so many natural intricacies that are beautiful, and that we sometimes don't notice or take for granted.
Anyway,I could babble on but I won't. I'll save that for another day, another hour. I look forward to this class and hope that it proves to be enlightening as well as interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment