Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Blog #2

This past weeks discussion was very interesting to me. I completely agree with the Great Chain of Being. God should always be considered first, He is our creator. Humans should be higher on the chain over animals and plants, we humans have souls and I do not believe that animals do. We also have speech and knowledge that animals do not have. With that being said, I really do not agree with what Kohak has to say how animals should have an equal value to humans. The one thing that I do agree with Kohak is that animals do have feelings and can experience joy, so we should not be torturing the animals instead we should have respect for them. We need to remember that God is the creator of all things and we should respect what he has created.


Kohak feels that animals should not be used as food and that they deserve to live like us humans. As many philosphers try to get people to change their eating habits from being meat eaters to being a vegetarian will never happen, at least not for everybody. Animals have always been used as food and not just for humans. Animals eat animals as well as humans eat animals. I am not a vegetarian nor will I ever be so I am kind of being biased on this whole concept that Kohak is trying to prove and to change.

After Kohak talking about how some humans are hypocrites, because they have pets and love and respect them but they are not a vegetarian, is an extremely good arguemnt. This statement has made me question myself if I am being that. I do not have animals other than a fish, but I did grow up with them. We do fall in love with our pets, and if anything ever happened to them we would be devastated. But we do not care that a cow or chicken would be killed and slaughtered so we can eat them. Here it then goes back to how humans are greedy at times, and we will do whatever it takes to fulfill our needs.

I am interested to here what else Kohak has to say about ecological ethics. He has good points, but I do not feel that it is good enough to change peoples way of eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment