Wednesday, January 26, 2011

5.

In the section The Ethics Of Reverence For Life, I thought many of the views the Albert Schweitzer made were interesting. I enjoyed his view of how he looked at life at each individual and how he believes in the basic commandment, "It is good to protect and love life, it's wrong to destroy or wound life." (p.81). I strongly agree with the commandment because I think that each individual should cherish life and live life to the fullest, to end life to short is such a waste in my eyes. God put everyone on this Earth and when it is our time to go he will take us. Although Schweitzer believes that one day humans will realize how cruel we have been to nature, I think some will come to that conclusion while others may never reach that idea in their lifetime.

Reading the second section of The Land Ethic, it was different to see Leopold's view because he saw life within the whole community not just an individual. The main thing that stood out to me was how Leopold recognized that "the Earth is a complex of life--and that death is a part of life, though we are deeply loath to admit it." (p.92). I agree that many find it difficult to accept death and we don't want to admit that it will eventually happen to all of us. I liked how he described that we are born, and will eventually "flow"away. I can agree with this, and I'll be the first to admit I think I have a hard time right now at least accepting that death is a part of life. I don't like to think about it, I'm still in the "live life to the fullest" stage. Although they had two different points of views I found each view interesting and could relate to both Schweitzer and Leopold.

No comments:

Post a Comment