Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Blog #2 Meat or Mercy

After reading the sections in Kohak's book The Green Halo, It makes me a think in a different point of view than I normally would. Some of the things Kohak points out I dont necessairly agree with like the fact he thinks humans and animals should be equal and treated with the same respect. Also I don't agree with the way he presents us humans as the bad guy in this situation saying that we have no respect for animals since we eat meat. I also don't like how he says we are racist because we lack consideration to other human beings and of course animals.

Even though I disagree with Kohak more than I agree, he does have some insightful points regarding animals and humans. Even though I really never thought of animals having feelings of suffering and pain. I don't think we show our disrespect to animals by eating meat because that was the society we were grew up in. So when Kohak says we should become vegetarians to eliminate the disrespect to animals, I don't think that is the cause of animal cruelty. I believe animal cruetly comes from people not taking care of thier pets and abusing other animals without a legitmate purpose. I also agree with Kohak when he says animals, just like humans, have basic needs that need to be met in order to live a life. I agree animals every right to satisfy their own needs but I wouldn't go to the extent saying we are disrepectful to animals when we deprive animals of thier basic needs.

I understand where Kohak is coming from and saying that if humans say they respect and love animals they should become vegetarians because if not we are considered a hypocrite. I love animals considering I have five dogs but I definitely don't consider myself a hypocrite at all because I will always eat meat even though I know animals are harmed in the process.

I love the way Kohak presents different situations because it makes me really think about the environment and its surroundings. Even though I don't think his insights will change the way people think about animals and the environment he certainly might make people question their actions. I am looking forward to what other issues Kohak will present to us and the way humans deal with the issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment