Sunday, January 16, 2011

2 - Meat or Mercy?

While some of Kohak's statements are rather insightful, others I have a hard time agreeing with. After reading the first 40+ pages of The Green Halo, it seems as if humans are the "bad guys" and we are destroying nature (plants and animals). Obviously, as evidenced by events in the news, this is true to a certain extent. However, I find it hard to see true equality between humans and animals. While I do not agree with animal cruelty, I do not necessarily believe we should all become vegetarians. I guess some could argue that is contradictory... Just because I eat meat does not mean I think animals are inferior to me. Honestly, I suppose it was the society I was brought up in - one that eats meat, hunts animals, and raises animals to supply humans with food. My family gives me a hard time because I have second thoughts about eating a deer my brother shot while hunting, but I have no problem eating beef that was most likely slaughtered and tortured before being consumed. I do not feel superior to these animals nor do I consider myself a racist of hypocrite for my actions.
Before taking this class, I never really thought very in-depth about ecological issues or animals and humans in terms or inferior/superior ways. I find it interesting Kohak relates the dilemma to slavery and the 3 possible responses to the question of civilization and exploitation. I feel that I land in the third possibility - seeking to satisfy every one's needs and feelings. However, I'm not sure how this would be possible since society can't seem to agree on pretty much anything these days.
Throughout the reading, the habitual theme of animal/human equality is present. It strikes me as kind of humorous that humans continually fail to live in harmony with each other so what makes people think humans and animals can live in harmony? Some humans seems to have a problem with treating other people with respect, how do we expect these people to treat animals with repsect when they can't talk or state their own beliefs.
I agree that animals have needs as well and should be respected and treated in a humane way. The love I have for my dog is not the same for the wolf living in the woods, however, I will still treat both animals with respect. Some of my beliefs may be ambiguous, but I feel like there are multiple points to consider when dealing with ecological issues. I look forward to seeing what Kohak has to say in the rest of his book.

No comments:

Post a Comment