Sunday, January 23, 2011

blog 2

I think that the dilemma of what the ideal relationship between animals and humans should be has been around for centuries. I think that people’s opinions are based on their experiences with animals and their personal beliefs and morals. Kohak gives us three different options in which most people approach this dilemma- 1) refuse all limitations; 2) equality;  3) seek compromise.
I would definitely fall into the third category. I think that my opinion is largely based on the fact that I never had any pets when I was growing up and that I have very strong moral beliefs. The Catholic Church believes that animals don’t have souls. I agree with this. I also agree with the Catholic Church on the fact that even though animals don’t have souls, they are still God’s creatures. As a result, animals should be treated with dignity, respect, and love. I believe that we should only use animals to the extent of need. I think that animal cruelty is very wrong and a sin. Many people probably think that the Catholic Church doesn’t take a strong enough stance on animal rights, but one of the greatest, most revered saints of all time, St. Francis of Assisi, devoted his whole life to spreading the news that nature, especially animals, are a part of God’s creation and their purpose is a very important one. I fully agree.
When reading this, I thought it was very interesting that they made a parallel with animal rights and the struggle for African Americans to gain their rights. I thought that was very clever and really brought the issue to a whole new level for me. I could better relate to what Singer was saying and I think that similarities that he pulled out were very insightful.
After reading this I am not a vegetarian by any means but it did strengthen my opinion on the fact that animals should be respected. It also made me more conscious of my use of animals and it will make me more aware of what their purpose is.

No comments:

Post a Comment