Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Postscript

The book The Green Halo was a very interesting book, nothing like I have ever read before. I liked how Kohak ended the book with his own views on ecological philosophy. I enjoyed reading about Kohak's experiences of ecology that were talked about in the postscript. I found his story of how he lived in a home on a homestead to be very interesting. He stated that his concern was to show that cultivated life does not need to be more economical or ecologically costly to the earth.

Kohak goes on to describe all of the aspects of the house such as; the lights were oil lamps, and how he used a cool cellar as his refrigerator. Kohak does not believes that by just using some of these methods such as oil lamps and wood stoves etc. that the ecological crisis would end. I agree very strongly with Kohak. I believe that our society is very focused on technology and disregards the concerns for a better environment.

Kohak also asked a question which grabbed my attention, which was “Are we, the over consuming ecoterrorists, willing to change our ways so that we could preserve what is truly significant and extend it to all humans?”. This question really got me thinking and I came to the conclusion that the majority of society over consumes and they are not willing to change their ways. Kohak states that over-consumption is the most dangerous problem to ecology. I believe that this is true and not many individuals are going to be willing to cut back on their consumptions because most people believe they can have what they want. Kohak stated that an intimate experience with nature opens ones eyes, however many individuals don’t get that experience. I am looking forward to the next book that we have to read, and learning other philosophers views.

No comments:

Post a Comment