Wednesday, February 16, 2011

blog # 9

I found it interesting that Kohaks goes back to the aspect of "flannel ecology." He describes flannel ecology to be getting to work and doing something about the negative effects human have on nature. Flannel ecology means to get to work and and not sit back and watch and just hope for something to happen. I was fascinated by the story of his father and how he had to stare at a white wall for hours on end and he had never been so excited to see a fly. It really made me go back and think about my experiences with annoying creatues or bugs. I am always swatting flys away or smacking at them, but I never took the time to sit down and watch one. Flys could probably being very interesting and they deserve room here on earth too.

This reading that we had to do just really made me think of my own experiences and if or how I respect nauture and interact with the earth. I can say that I love to camp and hike and do things in nature, but I have never lived for a long period of time without running water or electricity or a refrigerator. It would probably be a pretty fun experiences though. However, not many humans could live like that because Kohak brings up the question to wether or not we are "overconsuming ecoterrorists." He asks if we are willing to change our ways to preserve what is truly significant rather than just our wants. I like that statment that Kohak mentions and I would have to say that I think we do overconsume and agree that to change it takes modesty and justice rather than greed.

Kohak also mentions two strategies on how we could resolve the crisis. They were more effective technology or less demanding humanity. Therefore, we either need to desire less or produce more. In my opinion, I think that we need to desire less. There is no reason for us to keep producing more when we already have an abbundance of so many things in this world. His way of describing it was really intriuging. So to sum it all up, it is all about how we can interact with nature so that we can live in harmony.

No comments:

Post a Comment