Saturday, February 5, 2011

Documentary

After reading Mike's post about the documentary, I have to say he took the words out of my mouth. It's not that I don't appreciate nature, but I find it hard to eagerly want to watch a movie such as the Kestrel's Eye. Maybe it was the lack of narration or the slow depiction of a bird's life, but I was having a hard time sitting and watching it. I definitely believe that nature is a beautiful depiction of God's work, however, I feel that watching what a kestrel's life is like does not really portray much that would make me change my beliefs about nature.

The scenery depicted in the film was very appealing but that's about it. I still have respect for nature and I do not have anything against those who study the environment. Perhaps if the kestrels weren't going about their peaceful lives I would have had stronger feelings about the film because it would have related to how I feel about nature and the moral attitude we are supposed to have towards it. To see them going about their lives through the seasons did not strike me in any way other than it is the cycle of life that both humans and animals go through.

Maybe that is all we are supposed to get from the Kestrel's Eye, the realization that humans and animals are not so different after all. We all need the basics in life - food, shelter, and a relationship to create new life. We survive with each of these and it is only until a more powerful thing or person takes it from us that we are not able to live a comfortable life. As we watch the remainder of the documentary we will most likely see the next imperative aspect of the kestrel's life which is caring for its young.

No comments:

Post a Comment