Saturday, February 19, 2011

#10

In chapter 2 of Competition is Real but Limited, Midgley brings up two approaches which are a sensitive approach and a realistic approach. She also concentrates on the "Lifeboat Theory" throughout this chapter in which I will mention. Midgley brings up that, "there is not enough of everything for human beings. If there were enough, it might be nice to give something to animals too." (p.20). This is when Midgley starts to talk about the lifeboat model.

With this model, there seems to be only one choice. Midgely believes that lifeboat situations "can do nothing, either to increase existing resources or to distribute them better." (p.20). She also brings up the idea of mine and yours. We as humans do not want to share, and some of us only think about ourselves, and this is where the lifeboat theory comes into play. In the end we normally only save ourselves.

On p. 29, she give diagram representing claims and loyalties, and if given the opportunity who would we save. Of course it starts of as saving ourselves first, next being family, then personal friends, etc. I can honestly say that most of us would do this including myself. I would want to save myself first, then my family, then my close friends. I can disagree with this too because if I had a younger sibling, I would want to save them before I would even think of myself. Midgley brings up a good point, and I enjoy talking about the lifeboat theory. Midgley believes that despair gives rise to lifeboat theory, and I believe we should live life without regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment