Friday, February 11, 2011

Blog #8

Lovelock's hypothesis was about the functioning of the earth. I found his hypothesis to be very imaginitive. If I understood right he compared the biosphere to a beehive. He thinks of live as an organism. It is a weird way of thinking about it, but in a way it kind of makes sense. I understand it in a way that all of us humans are like bees. We take care of everythign on earth. We use the resources and treat the animals however we please. We will do wahtever it takes us to survive.

I am not sure that I am interpreting Lovelock's theory the right way because I got a bit confused at times while reading. However, because of the way humans use the earth Lovelock thinks we are threatening to it. He believes the greatest threats are the cutting down of forests to make farmland. Because of this, Lovelock believes we are preparing our world for a new dominant species.

I do not agree that we are preparing our world for a new dominant species. I just feel that we dont know when enough damage to the land is enough. My interpretation was that we as humans are just like a bunch of bees that go about our daily life and do not worry about anyone but ourselves. We do what we have to do to keep our community up and running.

No comments:

Post a Comment