Monday, February 7, 2011

Blog 7

The film that we watched in class about the Kesterals I thought was very intriguing. While at first it took some getting used to when it came to not having a narrorator, towards the middle, I found myself rather enjoying the whole shebang. It was very different to look at the world from the view of a Kesteral and its family who lived in the church wall. I also liked how the film had an artsy feel to it. While at times it was dizzying to watch, I like how the producer incorporated the world as how it looked when the kesteral flew over it.
One thing that I did notice about the film is the amount of people who did not notice the birds. In many parts, the birds were obviously present towards the top of the church during events like mass, funerals and weddings. I beleive that only one person noticed the birds and that was a small child in the begining. With the amount of noise the Kesterals made calling to each other, the amount of pellets on the ground from them hacking them up, and the amount of waste present, I would think that somebody would at least be aware of them. During the scence when the juvenile Kesterel dropped the dead rodent, my first thought was please let it fall on somebody in the wedding party because that would just be funny. (Then at least it would cause people to look up).
My favorite part in this entire film was when the juvenile birds were watching the marching band go by. I thought it was hilarious that they seemed to be bobbing their heads in tune with the drums and how they looked so interested in watching this (to them) strange human procession.
Overall I really enjoyed this film because it was a new experience in which to see nature. So many nature shows today have a human voice over and I think that after watching this film, it takes away from the natural beatuy of nature as itself. It again shows how humans tend to seperate themselves from the natural world by putting a human voice over to explain what the animal is doing and why. In reality I feel that we actually have alot in common with the Kesterels. Both parties mate, have offspring, and provide for their young. Both live in shelters and depend on the natural world to help them survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment