Friday, April 29, 2011

Blog #17

Today's panel discussions were byfar the most interesting thus far.  There were a couple controversial topics that I am not sure I agree with, but I did understand where my classmates were coming from.  The major one that I was really shocked about was from Joel.  I understand that he was taking a deep ecological stand point that focuses on the overall stability of the Earth, but I think it was misunderstood.  I think everyone thought that he was stating his opinion on the matter, but he was just making it known of the problem that exists.  I was not aware that the Earth could only contain a certain amount of people.  And when he stated that it was ridiculous to treat people who only had a few more years to live, I thought that was rather harsh, but it was only to make a point.  I found that presentation very interesting. 

Another presentation that caught my attention was the one on the anitibiotic resistance bacteria.  I was not aware than this was also prevalent in animals as well.  As a nursing major, I am aware of the common problem of resistant bacteria from my microbiology class, but did not really see the connection that animals and humans had with this phenomnenon. 

Overall, I believe the panel discussions were very beneficial to me.  I feel like they helped me understand some of the topics presented by the philosophers.  The way the information was presented and the way the questions were asked enabled my understanding of the topics discussed in environmental ethics to expand.  I feel like I will take the information gained from this semester's class and hopefully apply it to the world around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment