Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Blog 15

I found David Abram's work interesting, but a challenge to read. His writing was more drawn out and fancy than was Kohak's for example. Kohak seemed to always get straight to the point, while Abram seemed to want to dance around the point with complex words and sentences - both approaches are fine, but I found I had to use my brain a little more while reading Abram's writing than I have had to do with the other texts we have looked at. One thing I really liked about the way he wrote was how descriptive he was. Although at times I was thinking, 'alright, I get that the earth is beautiful!', overall I liked the way he used lots of descriptions in order to paint a vivid mental picture for the read - especially in the prologue. I think his word choices worked well, and I really did get a good feel for what he was talking about and why he has so much respect for nature. The chapter about birds was very interesting. I really liked reading about the different types of bird communication because, as we talked about in class, it can really be useful in everyday life. I had never thought of how the sounds birds make differ from one another, but after being prompted to think about it by Abram's writing, I wondered why I had never thought about it before. After talking about the different bird sounds in class, it seemed obvious to me that the three types of noises were distinct - even though I had never really considered them before. What Abram said about birds and the way they communicate just further proves the point - in my mind at least - that animals do have their own language of sorts and should not be treated poorly based on their "lack" of language as we know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment