Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Grizzly man

Ok so honestly I am not sure wheter to laugh or cry at this documentary. By laughing I would feel like a sick twisted person, but at the same time if I cry then I feel like a pathetic loser. This whole situation is just full of sick twisted irony. Let me explain what I mean. One of the first scences with Timothy Treadwell shows him standing in front of bears grazing in the grass. He tells us about how these are dangerous animals and that at any minute they can kill, decapitate, and bite you. Yet in the same scence he calls them family and friends. And later in his life, he is killed by the exact thing he is working towards saving.
I am not sure how this Treadwell thing has made me feel. On one end, I admire greatly what he was able to do. It takes guts to be able to go live in the wild, and work for what you truely beleive in. He truely wanted to save the bears and educate the public on their plight.
On the other hand, I feel like he was really stupid in what he did. Bears are dangerous. Treadwell said it himself. I don't beleive that it was very smart to get as attached to them as he did. By giving them names and interacting with to the extent that he did, I beleive that he got emotionally attached and to comfortable in being around them. By being to comfortable around them I think he began to trust in them to much and let down his guard. I beleive this may be why he died. He forgot that they weren't the same as he and in that he showed a vunerablity.
From his death, I don't think he deserved to die like that but again, in some sick twisted ironic way, I almost think that is how he would want to go. After all he did say he would lay his life down for the bears. I just dont think that was how he intended it to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment