Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Blog 13 - Animals in Our Culture

Chapter 10 of Midgley’s book dealt with how animals fit into human culture. During these chapters Midgley raises several points that show that the species barrier does not prevent animals from becoming part of our lives. The points she brings up are very self-evident once she mentions them, and I have had experiences that mirror what she describes perfectly. I am not an animal activist and have never given it much thought, but even I can see that Midgley has made a convincing argument.


Midgley makes the case that the species barrier is not a legitimate argument to say that animals aren’t part of the human community, and brings up many points to show that animals are indeed part of our community and that they understand our actions. Some people want to treat animals purely as machines or things, but Midley brings up the point that people name their domesticated animals. People do not name tools, rocks, etc. My cousins and I have given names to cows on our grandpa’s farm. Next she mentions the importance of pets in our culture. To me it is completely obvious that most pets (dogs and cats) become a true member of the family. I know the sorrow and feeling of loss is real when a pet dies. Many people shed tears over the loss of a dog or cat that has been with them for many years. They don’t cry because they will be lonely, they are hurt at the loss of a family member they loved. Midgley also mentions how a pet is patient towards human young. I have witnessed my little cousins trying to pet their cat and instead end up smacking it hard on the head repeatedly. The cat just squints it’s eyes but takes the abuse from the toddler. If an adult was hitting the cat in such a way, I’m sure the animal would have ran away or bit them. This shows that animals are more aware than we think of their surroundings and they are indeed sentient beings.


These examples that Midgley brings forth really struck a chord with my past experiences. They have made me re-think animals positions in our culture. I think it is irrational to believe that animals are beyond our sympathy or respect, because of the species barrier, because the species barrier is breached by every family who owns and loves a pet or anyone who feels sympathy for animals. I imagine many more people fall into this category than the category of complete dismissal of animals.


No comments:

Post a Comment