Monday, March 14, 2011

Grizzly Man

Throughout the documentary, I had a mix of emotions in relation to what Tim Treadwell was doing in Alaska. At times, I thought that he was definitely overstepping his boundaries. The grizzly bears were even referred to as the most dangerous animals walking on Earth, knowing this, why would a human being be so dumb and live in their habitat? The documentary depicted Tim as trying to be one with the bears and show people that the bears trusted him and would not harm him because he understood them. This seems silly considering he could not communicate with the bears so how would he know if they trusted him? I believe animals can sense human body language; perhaps Tim was lucky and approached them in such a way that did not make the bears guard their territory or cubs.

There were some parts of the film where Tim seemed a little crazy and made me think that it's no wonder the bear "turned on him" all of a sudden. There were other parts, however, where I thought that maybe it was ok for him to be there living with the bears. Granted it was the bears' territory, but he was not doing anything to harm them. It never once showed that he did not care about the bears. It was amazing to see how close he would get to the bears without any fear or discomfort. To me, it just seems like a human being can never fully understand an animal - what it is thinking, or what its next move will be. How can humans become so trusting of such a beastly animal like the grizzly bear?

I thought the documentary was good and I enjoyed seeing an up-close view of the bears and the beautiful land in Alaska. It's too bad the bear that killed Tim and his girlfriend had to be killed; I understand the reasoning behind it but it is kind of ironic that Tim essentially caused it's death - someone who loved bears so much and never wanted them to be harmed for any reason. I think it goes to show just that I stated above - that you can never be too sure about wild animals. No matter how cute, harmless, or friendly they may seem, you never know what they might do.

No comments:

Post a Comment