Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Blog 13

This part of Midgley's book dealt with how animals fit into the human culture. She talks about how the species barrier can be broke, and how animals can become a part of our lives. She mentions some very good points and makes it clear that what animals sometimes do show they break the barrier. I also relate to this because I feel that the dogs that I have became a part of my life in more than just a pet way. I swear that my dog knew my mood and acted accordingly.

Midgley makes statments about how animals can understand our actions. We name animals and we talk to them, but most people would not name a rock or a plate that they eat off of. The connection that animals have with humans is totally different from other objects we have in this world. Fish do not really interact with humans;however, the girls I babysit for still name their fish and talked to the fish. When an animal dies we show emotional connection by being sad or crying. Another thing that I have wittnessed is the way my little Goddaughter treats her dog. She pulls his tail, squeezes his nose, and does all sorts of things that the dog would usually get aggravated with, but the dog just lets it happen. However, If an adult was to do that the dog would probably snap.

It really amazes me how much we take animals for granted and think they are so dumb. Animals are not dumb creatures; in fact, they are very smart. I believe that they definitley do break the species barrier and have become a special part of human culture. I think that some people may not realize how far they might reach our for an animal, but most people would not just completely dismiss that animals are a significant part of our culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment