Monday, January 26, 2009

Response to Kestrels

The movie Kestrels was not exactly what I thought it would be from what Dr. Langguth said. The movie did not have much action. I also got confused at first on what exactly was going on, but as the movie went on, the plot became somewhat clear. The distinction between the male and the female birds was not clear until they mated and the female laid the eggs. I thought it was interesting how much work the male put into the nest even though the female did not stay in the nest very long and was only in the nest when she needed to lay the eggs then left. The male also did all the hunting but didn’t get to eat what he caught because he gave everything to the female. Also, I noticed the female only laid an egg after she ate something. The view of the people and other life provided a different way of looking at things, but I don’t think that it provided much insight into the things that happen. I figured the movie would show more of how humans impacted the environment and other animals than it did. The movie did provide me with a small amount of further knowledge about how a bird views the world. I could see how some of the things that humans do would seem odd to birds who don’t understand the human world. This movie made me think about what the birds were actually thinking when they saw the things they did. For example, what do they think cars are or what do they think the people were doing in the cemetery or what does the sound of the car alarm mean? I think the movie would have been better if they gave a guess on what the animals were thinking about what they saw. Also, I think they could have showed more than just the mating of the kestrels. I did think the hunting was interesting because of how the kestrel could just float in the air without moving in any direction and how they can see the small animals like the mouse and the lizard. Overall, I thought the movie was just average and could use some improvements in order to provide a better response.

No comments:

Post a Comment