Tuesday, January 27, 2009

kohak 1

While reading the book, I became very interested in what Kohak was saying about humans and their pets and the points he made in regards to our oblivion toward other animals living in our enviornment. Page 20 closes with an impacting statement: "...we gush love at our pets and prefer not to ask where our meat and make-up come from." As a pet owner, I immediately related to Kohak's comment, but also felt guilty due to it's truth. I deeply care for my dog and provide it with more than it's basic needs, but never consider the other animals that are less privileged - because of mine and the rest of humankind's actions. I actually realized that in feeding my dog pig ears and rawhides I am accepting the vicious cycle that leaves livestock less fortunate. Kohak points out that humans try to justify their actions in regards to destroying nature and killing these animals as a means of survival and economic stimulus. Yes, this is true, and yes, this is part of life, but there are different, more eco friendly ways we can go about doing so.

I would honestly be horribly sad if anything ever happened to my dog, as would many dog owners, but I now realize through my reading that I need to take a closer look at the problems other animals endure and do my part (which I hope to better understand through Kohak) to aid in the movement to provide better conditions for these animals.

I am very interested in this book, in large part for my love of animals. Kohak has already plunged into his topics within the first part of the book and has grabbed my attention. I am excited to see how his ideas play out.

No comments:

Post a Comment