Sunday, January 25, 2009

Kestrel Movie

Like everyone else has said, this is movie was very different than any other that I have seen. As a science major I am used to observing and studying how other species live. I have never really thought of animals observing us in the same way. I have always thought of animals being intertwined with our lives. We all know that they do not keep records of our activities like humans do them but I question if it evens register with them at how different they are from us. Do animals have the mental capacity and reasoning to understand our culture?

1 comment:

  1. After watching the documentary, The Kestrel’s Eye, my initial reaction was intrigue. I felt that the film invoked so many more questions than it answered. This film sparks your interest about how another creature lives and makes you consider the value and uniqueness of that life.
    In watching the kestrels and their interactions with one another, the most frustrating aspect, for me, was not knowing what they were saying to each other. I wanted to learn more about the ways in which they communicate and whether the motions I was seeing and the sounds I heard were communication signs or simple body adjustments. It was absolutely fascinating to watch them interact and then realize that there may be a myriad of tiny gestures and/or sounds that I didn’t pick up on that were meaningful to the birds. I also couldn’t help wondering what they were thinking. Were there interactions sometimes a reaction to what the people were doing around them or where they completely oblivious? How much of what they did was learned and adapted from living among humans and how much was instinctual? Seeing how they visually viewed the world made me wonder how they processed what they were seeing and how that affected their actions. Did they view us as predators? Where they aware of our capabilities or that humans were watching them? Were they as fascinated by our daily lives as we are with theirs? so many questions...

    ReplyDelete