Sunday, January 25, 2009

Movie

As many others have stated, the movie was unlike anything I had ever seen. To be perfectly honest, I would never have watched this in my free time. As we left class, I really had no idea what I could write about the on the video. It has literally taken me a couple days to reflect. I have came realize the movie was not purely about kestrels. Instead, it was a template for comparison between human activity and kestrel activity. Without the humans in the background, the video would take on a whole new meaning. I found it very thought provoking to compare the daily life of a kestrel against human daily activity. Humans were more geared toward emotional, visual, and aesthetic matters. The kestrels on the other hand were focused on survival and reproducing. Obviously, the kestrels had different nature-driven priorities than did the humans. The yard work around the cemetery is not done out of survival, but respect. As far as I know, birds do not show this same type of behavior. It is a possibility that humans have made survival so easy for themselves, that working towards these emotional, visual, and aesthetic pleasures has become possible without jeopardizing the survival of the species. Whether the differences put humans on a higher level philosophically, I have no idea.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more. I can't say as I watched this film that I knew where it was going and what the meanings were. I can say that after thinking about this film people have not taken thought into animals. It is nice that the birds had a secure place for their young, but they shouldn't be burdened by us living on this planet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Kestrel movie started out kind of boring to me, but as it went along, I began to really get into it and enjoy it. The camera work/placement was awesome and really helped to build the excitement in the movie. It was unreal to watch the birds hovering over the field in search of prey to bring back to feed its family with. Throughout the movie, it almost seemed like the small town was made for the birds rather than the people. They just sat atop the church peering down on the people bustling by and did nt really seemed to be bothered by them at all.

    ReplyDelete