Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Overall, this course has increased my awareness of nature and the effects my behavior has on the environment. Not only have I learned the points of view of major ecologists, but I have acquired the knowledge to at least NOTICE my behavior in regards to animals and the earth. I used to be okay with throwing away paper and not using the backs of pages and throwing the occasional piece of trash on the ground. Now, however, I realize that my selfishness affects species that cannot speak for themselves. I recently found myself criticising a friend of mine for throwing a plastic cup on the ground after dumping the juice out of it. I made her pick it up and throw it in the trash can. At work, I have set up a paper recycling can and I have decided to take the old ink toners from the printers to be reused rather than just throwing them away. This is a big step for me considering I would have done the same thing a few months ago without thinking twice and now here I am throwing out my opinion for someone to catch on to. I'm not bragging about my efforts by any means, I'm just excited that a class based on 3 books we have read had this much of an impact on me. I know that I am no longer above nature and that I need to make the living conditions for other species just as accommodating as my own to the extent possible.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Good for you! In my opinion, too many people aren't able to recognise the consequences of their actions when they're removed just a few steps. Our "cause and effect meters" are largely responsive to immediate punishment and gratification -nothing more. The ability for one to think bigger than just immediate impact is truly the remedy for the numerous infringemens upon the earth by humans today, and yet remains the most difficult of abilities for socieies to master. Sigh. Still, us flannel ecologists must perservere!

    ReplyDelete