Thursday, April 30, 2009

Defiant Reflex

I thought todays discussion about Defiant Reflex was very interesting. I agree that we are trying to create or attempt to keep our standard of life while dealing with or ignoring the global crisis. I feel that we need to start substituting items. People need to realize that this is an end of an era. Sometimes I think that people are in denial of what is happening to our earth. They know that nature and the earth is coming to an end, but they don't believe it. I admit some times I read information about the global crisis and it seems impossible to me. We need to get the information out to people and show them how they can change. If we just tell people that we are domed, then they are not going to change their actions.

4 comments:

  1. I think another big part of the problem is that the "global crisis" is something we're all responsible for. This said, it becomes a whole lot easier to shake off collective guilt and be in denial about one's personal role in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In terms of substituting items, I think that one of the major problem's that people have is that they do not trust all the new "green" products because many have been proven to be less efficient than more environmentally harmful products. Because the pace of our society is at such a high speed, it is difficult to balance efficiency with responsibility. Unfortunately, the more "green" lifestyle is often less convenient or sometimes the products are not as efficient. For example, some states have outlawed the use of dish-washing products like Cascade or Jet Dry in favor of more environmentally friendly options. Because the environmentally friendly options are not able to perform the same as products like Cascade, people have been smuggling Cascade across the border. Unless the "green" products become as efficient as less "green" products, I think many people will not embrace changing their lifestyles to meet environmental needs. Th substitution of products does not seem to fit in with the desire to have a completely smooth running lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the other hand, there are people who will blindly trust anything that claims to be "green" without questioning the basis for such claims. I think this is just as bad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought I would hear that people are smuggling Cascade across borders. I have to agree with Penny though, people are blindly trusting anything that claims to be "green". I think that is another way for companies to exploit peoples' naivety (if that's a word). For people to continue to buy their "green" products it has to work, so I am sure they put some not so green chemicals in it and just don't promote that fact. I know I don't look at that back products so I have to guess that a lot of other people don't either.

    ReplyDelete