Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Respect for Nature

The things we learned about Paul Taylor and his thoughts on Respect for Nature are somewhat difficult for me to understand because the biocentrism he talks about is supposed to have nothing to do with emotion or sentimentalism or any attachment to animals. I believe our ability to become attached to animals is something that shouldn't be shunned because it isn't reflecting arguments made for biocentrism, but rather embraced and used to do what we can for nature. I agree with the thought, "other beings besides ourselves have goods and we have a duty to respect those goods" but, as my last blog mentions, i wish it didn't have such an anthropocentric weight on it. If someone finds themselves attached emotionally to a particular animal or wildlife movement to save different species then so be it. I guess this is where I come to really appreciate the idea of flannel ethics and doing what you can in order to make some kind of difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment