Thursday, May 7, 2009


For my project to conclude this class, I have drawn two pictures that compliment each other. The first image is of a human face with tiger eyes. The second is of human eyes in a tiger’s face. The point of these pieces is to convey the idea that there are ways to communicate that do not involve words. I believe that the eyes are one of the most expressive parts of the body, and the kind of emotions and ideas that can be articulated through the eyes can be more meaningful than any words or sounds uttered from the mouth. I think that looking into someone’s eyes can reveal the heart and soul of that person and bond two people together. The reason I chose to show each face with the other creature’s eyes is to pose the question, “What if we could see the world through another’s eyes?” A common argument against recognizing the interest and worth of an animal is the fact that they do not have the capacity for speech. However, in emphasizing the eyes, I make the point that speech is a very limited form of communication and this nonverbal form can be much more effective. If humans could see the world through the eyes of a tiger and communicate with them, perhaps they would recognize the sentient being within, not the source of fur coats on the surface. Because of this longing for knowledge and understanding, the human’s tiger eyes are large and hungry. They are wanting and searching for that connection.
The tiger is draw with human eyes because, even though it may appear anthropomorphic, I think the only way humans can understand animals is in relating what they see to their own lives and experiences. Because of this, my tiger uses human eyes to convey his message. The right eye on the tiger’s face is open, expressing a willingness to communicate wisdom and insight into its life as well as an honesty of response. The left eye is closed and has a single tear falling from it. This eye illustrates the sadness and heartbreak involved in being treated as less than worthy of respect and compassion. If creatures could share eyes and find a common form of communication, imagine what we could learn from each other.

1 comment:

  1. I love it! I was actually just thinking the other day how interesting it is that all animals seem to know to look you in the eye. I mean, I'm close to 50 times bigger than a squirrel, but they always know to look me in the face. Funny, huh? My dad always says the eyes are the window to the soul, and it seems that animals have caught onto that also. Of course, then this gets me wondering why dogs seem to be such better judges of character than we are, but I digress... Again, great work!

    ReplyDelete