Sunday, February 15, 2009

Voluntary Simplictiy

During class we discussed the idea of voluntary simplicity. I think this is a very difficult idea for most of us to grasp or to try to take on ourselves. The definition includes "the more desirable is whatever is less expensive.." I think that this is an idea is too hard for Americans to think about. Today we are almost "programed" to think that bigger is better and the more expensive things in life are better then the cheaper things. Clothes for example: you can find a shirt at a "high class" store for $90 at one store, but then you can go to a "lower class" store that has the same exact shirt (or one that looks very similar to it) for $10. I think that I personally would rather have the less expensive shirt. Voluntary simplicity is an idea that should be considered in most people's lives, but also is something that would be very hard to do. Most people love shopping and even consider it a hobby, so to take that from them would be a very hard thing to do. Even trying to make these people shop for less expensive items would also be hard to do, because it goes back to the idea that "bigger and more expensive is better." This whole idea would need to be changed for voluntary simplicity to come into picture. With the economy as bad as it is, this idea might not be that hard to put into perspective.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's also pertinent to point out that there is a segment of the population who are notoriously know as the "bargain shoppers" but who consistently buy more than they need. I had a friend in elementary school who's mother had filled their apartment with boxes of shampoo, umbrellas, and spaghetti sauce simply because it was on sale. Why anyone would need more than one umbrella is beyond me (I mean, you can only use one at a time, right?), but because they were on sale, her mother just couldn't resist buying them out. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea of voluntary simplicity is a hard one for most americans to grasp. I myself used to be one that thought the bigger/more expensive, the better. I have changed though. I now look for the cheaper things most of the time. If I see two similar products but one is priced higher than the other, I now go for the cheaper one. I think being out on my own has made me value the meaning of money. Most people I know still think of things as the more expensive the better. I have a friend like this. America has turned into a place where everyone is concerned with material things. But as Melissa said, with the ecomony as bad as it is, I think people are going to have to start taking into consideration the idea of voluntary simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a hard idea to grasp. I think everyone wants nice things doesn't mean u necessarily have to pay the big bucks to get it, just because you spend a lot of money on it doesn't make you better then the person who bought the same thing at a consignment shop. Its the way you present expensive or non expensive things that make people notice you. If your flashy with low cost items just as you are with high cost items no one will ever know the difference except you. And as long as your happy with it why should what anyone else thinks about it matter?

    ReplyDelete